The Signetics NE5044 encoder

Downloadable Documents
Phil_G

The Signetics NE5044 encoder

Post by Phil_G »

Long obsolete, the NE5044 was very popular back in the day, it was used by Micron, Fleet, Skyleader, Proline, World Engines, Hitec, Sanwa, Futaba and many more.
Often on a PCB it was buried under shielding as it could otherwise be prone to RF interference.
Attached is a datasheet (which is not the easiest to follow), and also the very best explanation I've found of the NE5044's operation, courtesy of Ace in their "Silver-7":
Attachments
Ace_Silver_7_TX.pdf
(24.38 MiB) Downloaded 35 times
NE5044.pdf
(371.19 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
Pchristy

Re: The Signetics NE5044 encoder

Post by Pchristy »

I started using these as soon as they came out! Very easy to set up and work with, it was an excellent little device - except for its prone-ness to RF interference!

It was bad enough at 35 MHz, manifesting itself as trim changes between aerial up and aerial down, but at UHF it was a nightmare!

No amount of decoupling would cure it. Eventually, I found that building it on a double sided PC board, with the component side acting as a ground-plane cured it completely!

So if anyone is considering making one, remember to use a double-sided board with a solid ground-plane on the upper surface!

--
Pete
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

by coincidence, Futaba NE5044 pics in this thread, post 2:
https://forums.modelflying.co.uk/index. ... onversion/
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

Yes, looks like they implemented the "resistor in series with the analogue inputs, and capacitor to ground" method, which worked well enough at HF and low VHF frequencies (27 & 35 MHz), but failed completely at 459MHz!

Never tried it at 2.4 GHz, but there should be less stray RF inside the case at that frequency, so it may be OK. Also stray capacitance within the device may be effective at 2.4 GHz.

They also made matching decoder chips which worked very well, but were quite a bit dearer than a CMOS shift register, which is what most of us ending up using!

--
Pete